Does My Renter’s Insurance Policy Cover Storm Damage?

Whether you rent an apartment, condo, townhouse, or single-family residence in Plymouth, MN, your home could suffer damage from a severe storm. You may wonder if your coverage pays for that damage if you have renter’s insurance. The agents at Anchor Insurance Agency LLP can discuss how your renter’s insurance can replace certain items destroyed by an unexpected weather event.

What Renter’s Policies Cover

Renter’s insurance is similar to homeowner’s insurance in that it covers personal property and any losses or damages resulting from theft, fire, storm damage, and liability. However, it differs in that it doesn’t cover the physical structure of your dwelling. Your landlord is responsible for insuring the physical aspects of the property against storm damage. Renter’s insurance will cover losses of your personal property from storms if they meet the criteria outlined in your policy. This can include wind and water damage from a storm, although you may be subject to limitations on that coverage, depending on plan specifics. Many policies also include a provision for living expenses if your home becomes uninhabitable due to storm damage.

Some Water Damage May be Ineligible for Compensation

If your home floods from excessive rain from a severe weather event, your renter’s policy will not compensate for lost items. Consider getting a flood insurance policy if you live in a low-lying area or are on the first floor of an apartment building. However, if excessive wind breaks a window and rain soaks your belongings beyond repair, those damaged items will be covered.

Do you need a renter’s insurance policy? If so, talk to the Anchor Insurance Agency LLP agents serving Plymouth, MN. Our staff will gladly find an affordable policy for you and help you understand its provisions for storm damage.